Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Is this a sign of old age?

I noticed today, that I had been noticing the last few weeks... that I have aches and pains. Today they seemed worse than usual so it really made me think. Being the fact that I'm not a complainer, am rarely sick, and never really hurt myself (knock on wood), it is very odd for me to have regular noticible pains. I usually leave the complaining up to other people. However today, it was pointed out to me that I said "holy hell my knee really hurts", 7 times within an hour.

Now I know this isn't a "I fell down and it hurts" kind of pain. It's not a "I've been working out everyday and I'm sore" kind of pain (because as much as I'd love everyone to think I do, having a girlfriend for a trainer... I don't), it is a hardcore deep in my bones kind of pain. Like there is a frozen piece of steel in my knee and shoulder that just aches like all heck. Part of the week I was telling myself that it was just from the kickboxing I did over the weekend, but no, it's not. Then I was telling myself its a new form of PMS that must be setting in, but no, its not. Then today I said "BLAME IT ON ALL THE MATZO I ATE LAST NIGHT" (damn Passover), but no, it's not that either.

The simple truth is that I'm coming to terms that physically, I'm not 18 anymore. I've spent the last 17 some years now feeling like my body could do all the things I could when I was 18... and now, things are catching up to me. I won't sit back and just start saying "I'm old"... it just means I have to work a little harder at taking care of myself. It's much more evident that the food I put in my body is a key ingrediant to how I will feel. I wasn't as conscious of that when being sporty, strong, and fast just came naturally to me. I've got to be aware of my body, it's changes, and the signals it gives me as to what it needs. I'm not ready for these pains, I'm only 34. I've got better things to do than complain that something hurts.

I'm still not old... I've just got to work a little harder to be "better".

No comments: